Monday, September 11, 2006

Five years ago...

It's funny how you can look back years later & remember exactly where you where when something disastrous or important happened. Five years ago, I was sitting in my college freshman Old Testament Survey class when we heard the news that planes had crashed into the World Trade Center. I remember the feelings of fear & uncertainty about what was happening in our country as we all sat together in a student assembly & listened to the news reports on the radio. I remember being worried about my mom & dad who were in Mexico at the time & trying over & over to call them, but not getting through because the international phone lines were jammed. It's so hard to believe that it's been five years since all of that happened. I think I can honestly say that not only am I far more patriotic today than I ever was before, but I'm also more aware of the brevity of life & the fact that we should cherish every moment with our families.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I remember that on that day I was in the doctor's office with my youngest son. I had no idea what was going on until I came out into the waiting room and everyone - all the staff and the waiting patients - were staring at the television images of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. I couldn't believe my eyes. My oldest son was at school - my husband was up at our Campground working that day - I found myself really wanting us to be together. I MADE myself not call the school to be sure my son was ok - like I heard tons of others did.

I was also thinking that in a few short months I will be leaving this great country and moving to another. I am excited to go to Mexico but the country of my birth will always be first in my heart.

Melodie